First Published in the Manchester Evening Newshttps://i2-prod.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article19289364.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/0_GettyImages-1281792695jp.jpg
Manchester United are among the clubs vying for the signature of highly-rated FC Braga centre-back David Carmo, according to reports.
The 21-year-old penned a new contract with the Portuguese side last week and has seen his reputation soar since making his debut for the club in January.
Comparisons have been made with Liverpool’s Virgil van Dijk due to his commanding presence and the Athletic reports United are among 10 different clubs chasing Carmo’s signature.
That is said to include one of United’s top-six rivals in the Premier League, which may set up a fierce transfer battle heading into 2021.
However, Braga are under no pressure to sell after the youngster penned a new long-term contract last week that ties him to the club until 2025.
Serie A side Roma could be among the clubs plotting to make a move after seeing a €17m bid rejected in the summer, which was just short of his €20m release clause.
The price for Carmo’s services has doubled since though, with the new contract raising his release clause to a fee of €40m.
Mundo Deportivo via Sport Witness states that the Catalan side’s priority is to secure a fresh agreement with the former Borussia Dortmund ace, with his current deal due to expire in 2022.
MEN Sport understands that United saw Dembele as a potential loan option on Deadline Day, following the failure to sign Jadon Sancho.
Free Manchester United newsletter
United entered the international break by winning what was arguably their most important match of the season at Everton on Saturday.
The under-pressure Reds came from behind to beat the Toffees thanks to Bruno Fernandes’ double and Edinson Cavani’s first goal for United.
United have a two-week break with many of their stars heading off on international duty – we’ll be keeping tabs on how they all perform, and on preparations for their next Premier League match against West Brom.
For all the latest United news delivered straight to your inbox, sign up to our daily newsletter by submitting your email address in the sign-up box above, or click here – it’s free and it only takes a few seconds.
However, Dembele is not a priority for Ole Gunnar Solkjaer’s side heading into the New Year and the first transfer window of 2021.
Dembele is said to be open to negotiations with the La Liga giants but wants time to consider his options before putting pen to paper.
It is once again being suggested that United could come forth with a fresh approach in the January transfer window, again on loan, but Barcelona are unlikely to entertain such an offer following Ansu Fati’s injury.